Amy Saberian focuses on appellate, commercial and regulatory litigation. Having clerked for the Texas Supreme Court and worked in the large and specialty-practice law firm environment, Amy has in-depth experience representing clients in business disputes, primarily handling pre-trial and trial matters to ensure her clients are protected in the event of appeal. She also handles appeals before the various courts of appeals, both state and federal, and before the Texas Supreme Court. In addition, Amy has handled complex arbitrations, including arbitrations involving international disputes, from the initial filing of the complaint through post-hearing matters.
- Successfully challenged, in the Texas Supreme Court, subject matter jurisdiction under the Texas Tort Claims Act.
- Successfully defended on appeal a judgment in favor of a real estate development client on a long-term ground lease.
- Successfully opposed, on appeal, an effort to take a client representative's deposition pre-suit.
- Successfully defended, on appeal, a judgment favoring a client's employee's eligibility for a “keyman” life insurance policy.
- Successfully defended, on appeal, a judgment returning title to a number of properties that had been fraudulently transferred.
- Researched and prepared briefs for numerous matters pending in various courts of appeals and the Texas Supreme Court concerning business and healthcare litigation.
- Researched and prepared numerous trial documents, including jury charges, findings of fact and conclusions of law, complex motions for summary judgment, choice of law motions, and memoranda on evidentiary and procedural matters.
- Represented a landowner in a suit for damages alleging contamination of landowner's fresh water aquifer by oil and gas operations.
- Defended a large dairy operation against allegations of the violation of environmental standards in an administrative proceeding before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Defended contractor in arbitration matters related to two multi-millon dollar construction projects.
- Defended actuarial and consulting firm in complex business litigation involving multiple federal district courts and bankruptcy courts.
Presentation and Publications
- The Accidental Client: What an Attorney-client Relationship, in-house ethics CLE, April 2007
- The Texas Supreme Court: Basics and Update, in-house CLE, December 2006
- Permissibility of the Ex Parte Communication with Nonparty Treating Physicians, Health Industry Online (November, 2006) (in-house publication)
- The Unauthorized Practice of Law, in-house CLE, December 2005
- Contributing author, International Franchise Disclosure Laws, American Bar Association on Franchising 2005
- Co-authored Litigating With Governmental Entities and Public Officials, Texas Association of Defense Counsel Winter Seminar 2004
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D., 2003
- Research Assistant to Professor Robert Dawson and Professor Frank Cross, University of Texas School of Law
- Texas International Law Journal
- Winner and Best Advocate in Vial, Hamilton, Koch & Knox Endowed Mock Trial Competition
- Finalist in Texas Invitational Mock Trial Tournament and William W. Daniel National Invitational
Mock Trial Tournament
- The University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A., Plan II, Government, Philosophy, 1998
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas (Appellate Section)
- Austin Bar Association (Appellate Section)
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- The Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court
- Pro-bono work with Texas Appleseed related to drafting rules and city ordinances to avoid federal and state pre-emption
- Board Member and Secretary of Groundwork Music Project (providing free and low cost music classes to preschools with limited means)
- Board of Directors, Orange Jackets Alumni Organization (honorary women’s service organization)
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Church
- Member of the Arthouse at the Jones Center
- Volunteer with Austin Parks and Recreation Department
- Volunteer and participant with Got2Swim Event, supporting Colin’s hope (organization encouraging water safety)