Susan C. Gentz focuses on the business side of administrative law, serving national and regional telecommunications, cable and wireless industry clients in contract negotiations and development. Susan advises and represents telecommunications service providers in contested cases and rulemaking proceedings before the Public Utility Commission of Texas and other state commissions. She has extensive experience negotiating wholesale interconnection agreements between competitors and incumbent local exchange carriers in numerous states. Susan also advises companies that contract with state agencies on various public information laws. Susan provides bench strength in litigation, whether representing businesses in agency appeals or protecting their proprietary information. She has handled appeals of state commission regulatory decisions in state and federal courts, including the successful defense of the Texas building access statute challenged as unconstitutional, and writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court on the scope of AT&T’s interconnection obligations under the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- Telecommunications Law
- Cable Law
- COMPTEL: Panelist presentation on issues in interconnection agreement negotiations with small and rural incumbent local exchange carriers. September 2010
- TEXALTEL: “New UNE Rules: the FCC’s Decisions on Access to Unbundled Transport.” April 2005.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (Texas Chapter): Presentation with opposing counsel Brian Cassidy on BOMA’s constitutional challenge to the Texas building access statutes. May 2002.
- Electric Deregulation Begins January 1, 2002--Is Your Company Ready? (conference developed and presented by Casey, Gentz & Sifuentes, L.L.P. and Fox, Smolen and Arnold Consulting): “Choosing A Contract that Protects Your Interests and Consumer Rights.” November 2001.
- Southwest Competitive Telecommunication Association (now TEXALTEL): “A New Tool for Gaining Access to Customers in Multi-Tenant Buildings.” April 2001
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Texas
- - J.D., 1982, with honors
- George Washington University
- - B.S., 1970
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Chair, State Bar of Texas Public Utility Law Section
- Travis County Bar Association, Business, Corporation and Taxation Law Section
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Impact Austin
Awards and Recognition
- University of Texas School of Law Board Advocates, 1981–1982