Valerie Kirk focuses on representing national and regional telecommunications, cable and wireless industry clients in contested regulatory proceedings, including appeals to federal and state courts. Val also represents coalitions of competitive providers in administrative agency rulemaking proceedings, including drafting comments and advocating for the coalitions’ interests at government agency workshops and public hearings. She has extensive experience on issues involving customer service, 911, building access, anti-competitive activity, affiliate transactions and regulatory reporting requirements. With over 20 years of experience, Val has arbitrated wholesale interconnection agreements in numerous states between regional and national communications industry participants. She also has management experience in several private sector companies and served as managing partner of Casey, Gentz & Bayliff, L.L.P.
- Negotiation and arbitration of wholesale interconnection agreements in numerous states served by AT&T and its predecessor companies, particularly SBC.
- Expertise in building access issues, including telecommunications licenses and discriminatory conduct by building owners.
- Advising and representing telecommunications clients in contested regulatory proceedings, including appeals to state and federal courts.
- Representing coalitions of competitive providers in rulemaking activities, including drafting comments and advocating coalitions’ interests at workshops and public hearings, in areas involving customer service issues, 911, building access, prevention of anti-competitive activity by incumbent providers, affiliate transactions and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Expertise in pole attachment issues affecting telecommunications and cable companies.
- Advising and representing clients in numerous industries on open records issues, including drafting letter briefs supporting exemptions to production of confidential information under the Public Information Act and litigation in the event of unfavorable rulings.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- University of Texas School of Law
- - J.D., with honors, 1991
- - Associate Editor, Texas Law Review
- - Order of the Coif
- Southern Methodist University
- - M.B.A., with honors, 1976
- Michigan State University
- - B.S., with honors, 1967
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Public Utility Law Section
- Austin Bar Association, Administrative Law Section
- Impact Austin Foundation, Board Treasurer, 2010–present
- Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation, Board Treasurer, 2007–2010
- Texas Advocacy Project, Board Treasurer, 1992–2001, 2004–2005