Shelby O’Brien is a Board Certified Civil Appellate attorney whose practice focuses on litigation at the trial and appellate levels. Shelby joined Enoch Kever after having served as a staff attorney for the Texas Supreme Court. Shelby’s experience as an attorney at the state’s highest court gives her unique insight into judicial perspective, enabling her to better serve clients in their disputes before the courts. As a former attorney for the Texas Legislative Council, Shelby also assists clients in policy matters by researching and drafting legislation and legislative memoranda. Shelby further supports the telecommunication practice group in regulatory matters and disputes before the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
- Represents businesses and trade associations in lawsuits against the State of Texas and local governments in state and federal courts, including in challenges to administrative rules, statutes, and ordinances.
- Represents businesses and individuals in commercial and other business disputes in state and federal courts.
- Represents clients in all aspects of pre-trial preparation, including depositions, discovery, motion practice, and mediation.
- Represents clients in appellate matters before the Texas Supreme Court, Texas courts of appeals, and federal courts of appeals.
- Represents businesses and individuals before the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Assists telecommunication utilities in regulatory matters and disputes before the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
- Researches and drafts legislation and legislative memoranda to support clients before the legislature.
Admitted to Practice
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D., with honors, 2002
- Dean’s Achievement Awards for highest grades in Constitutional Law I, Texas Criminal Procedure
- Recipient of Robert S. Strauss Endowed Presidential Scholarship in Law
- Board of Advocates
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- B.A., English Literature, 1994
- University and English Honors Programs
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Austin Bar Association: Civil Litigation, Civil Appellate, and Administrative Law sections
- State Bar of Texas: Litigation, Appellate, and Administrative and Public Law sections
- American Bar Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers' Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers' Foundation, Fellow
- Third Court of Appeals Pro Bono Committee